Buying a fixer-upper is a great chance to make a home truly yours. You have a unique opportunity over a turnkey home because you get to personalize every detail. Make sure that you’re hitting the projects that are a top priority first!
Address repairs that present a safety or health issue before more minor decisions like what color your new backsplash will be. The last thing you want is for someone in your family to get injured or ill while you’re in the middle of a remodel!
- Hire a general contractor Dartmouth NS to look over your home and see what they find most concerning. Is the foundation in good condition? Is the drywall solid and free from moisture? These professionals can help you determine what is most urgent and what can wait.
- Do the same thing for your wiring. Hire an electrician who can give your home a walkthrough and keep an eye out for hazards.
- Do a visual inspection of your own and look for signs of mold. Mold loves to hide in dark, damp places like HVAC ducts, inside drywall and in basements.
A Clean Slate
Though this goes hand-in-hand with addressing health and safety concerns first, make sure that the home is sanitary and livable when you move in. Clean everything from top to bottom and dispose of any trash or debris that might have been collecting in common areas of the home.
- Wash all walls to remove any buildup of dirt or residue over the years. A DIY solution of vinegar, dish soap and warm water works well.
- Steam-clean any carpet that you are not going to replace. Sweep and mop all hard surfaces as well.
- Make sure that all windows have been given a good scrubbing from the outside as well as the inside. Dirty windows can make a room look shadowy and depressing.
Turn this beautiful mess that you’ve purchased into a home you can be proud of. Take care of the essentials to make it livable and move onto its transformation as a whole once it’s safe.